ADA Compliance ChecklistApril 11, 2017
Recently a client sent us a comprehensive checklist for ADA compliance from the folks at PaperStreet. Below is a quick snapshot - click over to PaperStreet for full checklist -
Level A Compliance items comprise basic guidelines for website accessibility
- Alternate text tags allow users to interpret page content without seeing images. Images have alternate text that can be read by screen reader software.
- Recorded video content includes captions.
- Video or audio-only content is accompanied by text transcript or description.
- Links are provided to media players required to view content.
- Headings are presented in logical order.
- "b" and "i" tags are replaced with "strong" and "em."
- There are no empty links or heading tags.
- Presentation does not rely solely on color.
- Automatically-played audio does not occur or can be stopped.
- The keyboard can be used to navigate the site.
- Keyboard focus is never stuck on one particular page element.
- Time limits provide notifications to the user.
- Automatically scrolling or blinking content can be stopped.
- No strobe effects or rapidly flashing colors occur on the site.
- “Skip navigation” functionality allows keyboard users to quickly access content.
- Page titles clearly and succinctly describe page content.
- Buttons and links are clearly and logically named.
- The language of each page is identified in code.
- Elements receiving focus do not change content in a substantial way.
- Invalid form input is identified to the user.
- Forms have labels and legends that can be read by screen reader software.
- There are no major validation errors.